Sunday, November 4, 2007

Boulliabased!

Though I never envisioned this as a cooking blog, I guess that's where most of my creativity is manifested these days. This recipe is derived from my mom's Clam Spaghetti recipe, and this may be one where I have surpassed her.

When I lived in New Hampshire, it was freezing cold for the first six months, and I didn't know a soul aside from the schmucks I worked with. So, I would crank music and drink drinks and cook food that was reminiscent of warmer climes.

For some reason, this became my go-to dish, probably because it was easy, and prepared mainly in one pot, with another for cooking noodles.

I started freelancing, and adding ingredients that I thought would compliment the flavors in the basic dish. I really hit my stride with the receipt of a La Creuset Dutch Oven, but only because it got me thinking of one-pot, stock type dishes. This becomes almost a boulliabase, and even gets better when you let it get cold and semi-congeal.

Heat the pan over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.

Take a 1/4 stick of real butter, and cover it with about an equal amount of extra virgin olive oil. (Basically, coat the bottom of the pot).

Chop up a single tin of anchovies. Add to pot. Crush some garlic, and finely chope 2 shallots, or half a red onion. Add to pot. Take 2 filets of sole or tilapia and sear on both sides. Allow to stay whole, but make sure the garlic, etc doesn't get dried out or burnt under the fish.

Add 4 cans of chopped clams, with juice, half a bottle of clam juice, and 2 empty clam cans full of white wine (whatever you like to drink, because the added bonus here is, you get to finish the bottle while cooking and with dinner.) Let simmer on lower heat for about 10 minutes.

Add 2 cans of canned mussels with juice, a package of any type of chopped mushrooms that you like, and a whole bunch of coarse chopped parsley. Crack a ton of black pepper over the top (or as much as you need) squeeze the juice of a whole lemon, and simmer again for another 5 minutes.

I have taken to cooking the noodles to almost al dente, and the draining and adding to the pot to finish cooking.

Serve with good bread, a lot of parmesan cheese -- I use the green Kraft can, I shit you not, it melts the best into a dish like this -- and whatever wine you haven't knocked back.

It's great on a freezing night because its warm and soup like, and great in the summer because of the fresh seafood and light flavors.

Enjoy!

No comments: